Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

day 7: AHHHHH!!!! you scared me!

today, i get to tell you what scares me. honestly, i don't really get scared that easily. 

there is one thing, though, that has remained the main source of fear in my life. getting arrested. really getting in trouble of any kind scares the living shit out of me! i am a habitual rule-follower. i know--boring. i just can't help it. it makes me suuuuuper uncomfortable to break any rules. i'm really just terrified that i'll get caught and thrown in the big house. i also am not the least bit smooth whenever it comes to breaking rules (probably because i'm so uncomfortable), which, 99% of the time, leads to me getting caught. ANY time i get pulled over, i immediately have a panic attack and begin to cry because, even though i know i simply was [fill in moving traffic violation here], the thought of something escalating to the point of me being arrested just scares the bajeezus out of me!

i'll never forget one time when i was in college. my friend kristy and i decided to catch a movie. we were using the little kiosk inside the theatre because we were paying with our credit cards. when you use the kiosks, you get to choose which type of ticket you purchase. kristy went to buy her ticket and selected the child's ticket because it was less expensive. we were about 22 at the time...clearly not children. i went to purchase my ticket, and kristy nonchalantly said, "just get a kid's one like i did. they never really look and it's cheaper." i immediately was unsteady about this, but she reassured me with, "don't worry. me and jenee (our other friend) used to do it all the time." 

against my better judgement, i purchased the child's ticket. 

of course, as soon as we got up to the ticket-taker, he barely even looked at kristy's ticket and she passed through. i get up there, though, and all of a sudden, mr. ticket-man get's microscopes for eyes and immediately calls me out. to add insult to injury, there was a long line that had accumulated behind me. awesome. 

i then had to go, get refunded for my child's ticket, and repurchase the correct one. so. embarrassing!! kristy still laughs about that. 

i was so thankful that the movie-theatre police didn't come out with guns blazing, but needless to say, i never tried to cheat the system again. it's just not worth it!

i do think that fear is relative to whatever else is going on in your life, though. for example, i don't think sky diving would is scary because i have absolutely no fear of heights. now that i'm married (and eventually when i have children), though, sky diving would likely become much scarier. not because my fear of heights suddenly came about, but because the thought of doing something that could possibly end in my death, which would separate me from my husband and children, is so scary it's unthinkable.

so, i admit it! i'm a scardy-cat when it comes to breaking the rules. sue me. what scares you??

later lovelies!



1 comment:

  1. OMG that is hilarious and just my luck as well....

    ReplyDelete